Sunday, May 25, 2008

My favorite time of day

When it comes down to it, every time of day is my favorite time of day.

But I must admit, in early motherhood, I discovered an especially beautiful time of day. Naptime. But it was not because I finally had time for myself. No, it was because in the few minutes the kids were napping...they were mine and they were: safe.

I write this on a Sunday morning, years later. My now teenage adults are sleeping late after their Saturday night out. During the week, they are busy in their lives, driving in a car, windsurfing in the ocean, going about their daily activities, prone to the risks of everyday life. Young people feel invincible, they think bad things or death happen to other people. But we parents know better. We know how fragile life is.

So as I sip my morning coffee, putter around the kitchen, read the Sunday newspaper, I have a beautiful feeling. My "children" are in my home, asleep. Safe.

This is my favorite time of day.

1 comment:

mayajuliana said...

Most people take naptime for granted, or worse, completely disrespect it. Thank you for writing this, Elizabeth. Everyone should read this.