Monday, April 7, 2008

Nina and me.

It's Nina's turn.

Pablo had my full attention for two years before his sister Nina was born.

With Pablo going to college, things have come full circle. Now I will have an amazing two years of exclusive time with my smart, talented, funny, beautiful daughter Nina.

Nina, as second child, feels she has always gotten the short end of everything.

I also felt the same way, because I too, was the second child, the sister of an older brother. But of course, now as an adult, I know differently: Mother loved both Buzz and me equally but in different ways, as mothers do with sons and daughters.

The minute my brother left home for college, I was the queen of the house, the supreme, reigning, ten times cooler teenager. I was no longer compared to Buzz in any way -- and I came into my own, changing in ways I could not have imagined.

This is Nina's special time and a blessed gift for me. Already we are planning our bohemian girly life, mother and daughter friends, how we will eat veggies, do yoga and bike together, take an evening stroll for sorbet. For the first and only time in her life, she will have all of me.

Here's to you, Nina!

1 comment:

Meredith Gould said...

Lucky Nina! Lucky Liza!! And the pets? How will the pets fare during this transition?